Friday 3 October 2014

My Dad Is Better Than Yours

Okay that is as obnoxious and offensive as my blog post titles get, but it's probably true.

So it's that time of the year again that I dread; October.
Why?
Because mummy and daddy and Janet all have birthdays in October. And while this is good in terms of the amount of cake we'll have, it also means my sisters and I come to a complete impasse when trying to decide what to get the folks as birthday presents.
Sure they tell you not to worry about getting them anything and that your love is enough, occasionally saying that good grades would be nice but let's get real. Simply wishing the two people responsible for your existence and current state of being alive and fed every birthday seems unsatisfactory.

But then what on earth do you get your parents that they cannot afford themselves?
The light bulb in my head went, "duh, whatever little publicity I can get them" so here we are.

My daddy turns 50 this year
That's half a century old :O (but I swear you wouldn't have guessed it if you saw him)
Unfortunately I am unable to spend it with him this year and plan one of my tear-jerking, heart-warming surprise events :3 (I love surprising people and making them happy :D)
Instead, I'm going to do him a bit of a service by waxing lyrical about him :)
So here we go!


10 words to describe my dad

1. PASSIONATE

Whether it's his work as the the boss for the Asia counterpart of the American company he works for, or the effort exerted in learning and up-keeping the 6 languages and dialects he eloquently speaks or spending time with the family and giving us pointers on how to do things better (tennis, etiquette etc), he gives his 100%. No such thing as half-baked when it comes to his endeavours.

He's even passionate when it comes to trying to make mochi for the first time in Taiwan :)

2. ADORABLE

Hard to imagine all 6 feet of his stocky stature and I-mean-business face being anything but serious but he's full of surprises.
Just look at this photo; need I say more?

3. INTELLIGENT


Growing up, we've heard so much about how hardworking he was as a kid and how he excelled in his studies. The chemical engineering degree and masters in business are surely testaments to that.

You just get this smarty-pants vibe from just the way he is

4. SPORTY

What makes me dad an even greater catch than his being a tall, statuesque smart guy is the fact that he played sports in high school *swoon*. Basketball, volleyball, badminton; you name it, he's played it, and maybe even represented Malaysia in Asian Pacific games for it (No, really, he trained to compete internationally for basketball and did I mention he was in the national mathematics competition or whatever it is they call these arithmetic contests at one point?).

Janet and daddy (the more athletic ones in the family) playing volleyball (sorta)

5. BUFF

Naturally, seeing that he's a talented athlete. Actually that's an inside joke because I got him a t-shirt from Topman once that had the word "BUFF" across the chest for one birthday. But there's no mistaking this sportsman's gracefully well-built body. *You're welcome dad*
GUNS

6. FUNNY

Again, not something you'd associate with him immediately but he has his charms and like my mum, tries to give us a laugh with his own unique brand of humour. Dinner times are fun with us.

Daddy imitating a puffer fish :3
7. INFLUENTIAL

Innate qualities of an inspiring people cannot go unnoticed. My dad was a natural since he became a prefect in high school and now, he makes big corporate decisions I cannot go on to describe in detail because I'm not familiar with the mechanics of his career, he makes big speeches at big events; there is no doubting his clear impact on the people who work with and surround him.

Daddy making us proud behind the podium at a neighbourhood event

8. THOUGHTFUL

He never ceases to put us first even on his long trips overseas. Despite being a busy bee, he would take some time off to find pretty things for us and initiate movie nights at home through which we thoroughly enjoy each other's company.

He ain't heavy; he's my dad. Okay he was kinda heavy, although already partially submerged in water :P

9. LOVING


He has a nurturing instinct and shows his affection. Whether it's my grandma on my mother's side, cousins or friends that he is in a position to care less about, he takes the time to know you, to make you feel comfortable.

 

After some persuasion I managed to get them to do this, haha, in a restaurant, no less

 10. LEADER

I know this seems to reiterate the fact that he's influential, but this point is to really highlight how best leaders are also team players. In our family, while he's the breadwinner and takes charge when he has to and is naturally protective of us, he never fails to take into account our thoughts and views. He has always reminded me of Obama in the good ways :)


My loves

So that's just a little insight to what an amazing person my dad is.

I'll spare you the mushy stuff I have to say to him.
Just take away from this post that my dad is awesome and if you're my close friend and you haven't met him you should ! :)
If you come around to my place often; he's a fun guy.

Love you dad !


We'll always be your babies :)

I wanna be like you; in the facial-hair department

Love & Ice-cream; there is no higher place


Thank you
For everything

No comments:

Post a Comment