Sunday 7 August 2011

MTV World Stage : Live in Malaysia 2011

  When I first got to know that 30 Seconds to Mars were coming down for one of the World Stage concerts, my heart hardly skipped a beat. I mean, they were great with 'The Kill', 'Attack', 'From Yesterday' + 'A Beautiful Lie' but I was less appreciative of their 'This Is War' album. I mean, 'Kings + Queens' + 'Closer to the Edge' were good stuff but it lacked that impact their previous songs had on me.
  So when Sherman Wong (Manmaid?) had won his two highly yearned for passes + Charmaine Wong gushed about it to me over the phone -across 400km from Johor Bahru- I was happy for them, but again, unperturbed.
  "You should totally get one so we can hang out." Charmaine suggested, elation clear in her voice.

 As much as I'd love to hang out with them at a rockin' jam, the idea of coughing up RM50 to see local band –in my opinion the best one- Pop Shuvit, BEAST -I didn't even know the number of boys in the band then if you could call it a band- , disco pop rock-ish Neon Trees + the new 30 STM didn't sound too appealing.
  However at the end of the week, I'd driven all the way to Mid Valley Megamall just to pick up two passes from a dude who had last minute obligations.
  On the afternoon of 24th July 2011, Charmaine + Sherman arrived in KL by bus + after lunch, mummy sent all five of us , 15 year old second sister + best friend Jenny Lim, 4 months younger + other best friend Charmaine Wong, 16 year old 30STM-crazy cousin Sherman Wong, my peer + good friend Stephanie Siao + myself) to I-City for the much anticipated -for some- event.
  Upon arrival (approximately 5pm), there was already a throng of people registering as more trickled in to join the queue. At registration, cameras, water bottles, food + even umbrellas were confiscated as everyone was handed a fan + water resistant poncho -which i laud, i mean, talk about thinking ahead.
  Sherman had decided to make a mad dash to the stage as soon as we get the chance, but the huge crowd that preceded us easily dashed his hopes of getting too near to the stage. However, for the fun of it, as soon as we were clear of the gates, i grabbed Jenny's hand + sprinted towards the stage with the other three trailing closely.
  As we were parched + had no water -Stephanie had her bottle confiscated-, Jenny + I decided to get drinks. With a RM10 bill in my hand, i thought i had enough for 5 cups of whatever they had but ended up getting only 3 cups of water as one cup cost RM3. Coke + Ribena were RM5 each.
  JJ + Ean -the genuinely funniest guys on radio that i know of- greeted us (a 15,000-strong crowd) with another dude whose face + name escapes me. They threw free shirts into the crowd + got us to chant 'MTV WORLD STAGE' at the top of our lungs. The cameras above us were recording in 3D + the preview would air on the 8th of August in Malaysia -Steph's birthday.
  After a good half hour or so of waiting, Pop Shuvit charged onto the stage, opening the show. I'd seen them live once when they opened for My Chemical Romance + they were hands down my favourite Malaysian band with their punk + hip hop appeal. Every song was adrenaline pumped + by the end of their set, i was jumping up + down + singing along to 'Marabahaya' -my favourite song of theirs yet.
  So then i was thinking to myself that maybe this wasn't such a bad idea. Sore feet, dry throat + lumbar aches aside, i was having a good time, even if the VJs were kind of annoying.
  Sherman who'd only been really excited about 30 STM -the highlight of the event- exited the crowd at this point. It really was quite stuffy + everyone had begun to sweat except sweat-poreless Charmaine.
  "Where's Neon Trees? We don't want BEAST!" A girl shouted near us while some well-built chaps from MSU chanted, "Beast! Beast! Beast!"
  I wasn't too keen on watching this particular boyband either because I've never been a fan of lip synching or cheesy dance moves. But we were smack in the middle of the crowd + I didn't want to leave just because of BEAST, acronym for Boys of the East Standing Tall. No shit.
  After a good half hour –that’s how long we endured repetitive MTV ads on the huge screens on either side of the stage at every interval- BEAST took to the stage. Six boys –men?- in white busted out their slick moves + tongue twisting Korean lyrics as the crowd went wild. + you won’t believe which part of the crowd this was either. I mean, of course, there were crazy Korean-wave-love-stricken girls of all races screaming their hearts out, arms stretched towards our beastly performers, but many of the strapping guys around us –from teens to 20 something young male adolescents- were mirroring the actions of the crazed female BEAST fans as well. It was quite a sight, not to mention sound. I guess I’d underestimated said boyband. They delivered –you can tell they were giving it their all by their faces that glistened with sweat- even if it wasn’t my favourite kind of music. Even their songs, ‘Shock’ + ‘Breath’ got stuck in my head long after the concert was over – in a good way though. Oh + just so we’re clear, the boys didn’t lip synch.
  Right after the BEAST set, many from the front part of the crowd started to leave. Either the Korean wave is really doing well in Malaysia, or the people up front are starting to retire from the oxygen deprived pit to get overcharged drinks.
  Half an hour later, it was time for Neon Trees to shine –I love puns, don’t you? + the ironic thing was, i-City the venue of the concert had arrays of brilliantly lit up trees which were really, neon. The rocked out drummer of Neon Trees –who’s female by the way- had begun a solid beat on stage with the guitarists. + then from the screens, we saw the very indie looking Tyler Glenn with a sorta-mohawk my mum would’ve wrinkled her nose in disapproval at was running through the crowd to the stage. Nobody –except Neon Trees fans- were expecting too much from the other acts that day. I mean, come on, 30 Seconds to Mars were performing! They’ve been in the industry for quite a while now what with their international recognition + gorgeous + talented brothers, the other acts were just minor distractions to most. But I have to say, so far the first two acts have really held their own. What about Neon Trees? Sure, they’ve that annoyingly catchy song ‘Animal’ on heavy rotation on the radio with ‘Your Surrender’ hot on the previous single’s heels but were they a band of substance? Well Tyler Glenn + his band really proved their worth as I could not get over the fact that he was such an amazing vocalist. He was an engaging man, prancing around on the stage while holding all the notes in the right places. Enough said, Neon Trees really were the underdogs. + to think that I first heard of them in Tap Tap Revenge.
  Halfway through their set though, I really had to go. Yeah, as in, go, go. It was really the last thing on my list you know, use one of those mobile toilets that look so horrible from the outside. Alas, I had no choice. Jenny faithfully but reluctantly exited the crowd with me –she really wanted to see 30 STM from where we were standing which had a pretty good view. Fortunately for me, the cubicle wasn’t soiled. Much.
  As we were out of the crowds already, + getting back to where Charmaine + Steph were standing seemed like an incredulous idea – I would never push my way through the crowd just to get closer to the stage unlike some people because that’s kinda like cheating- Jenny + I got drinks, an MTV World Stage T-shirt + some snacks.
  However, that also meant we had to cheer for 30 STM from way back in the crowd + although I was glad for the breathable cooler air we had outside of the crowd, Jenny stood beside me, a little bummed + yearned to be a little closer.
  By the time 30 STM took to the stage to the many tired, aching but still energetic fans, it was approximately 10pm. At first because we were so far from the stage, when Jared Leto, lead singer of 30 STM calming strolled onto the stage in a black poncho, dark sunnies + dark brown hair slicked back, I thought he was an impostor. A vampiric one at that. + he sounded so different live. But a few songs into the set, he took off those shades + flashed us those marble baby blues + the crowd went wild –again.
  Jenny cheered so loudly beside me she must’ve lost some of her voice. + she had school bright + early tomorrow too. But she didn’t care. + neither did I at that point. Most people in the back were more apathetic compared to those in the middle + front of the crowd so the most they did were nod their heads to 30STM’s rocked out songs. Jared Leto decided to take things into his own hands though as he instructed “Jump! + for those around you who aren’t jumping, grab their legs + throw them into the air. I’m sure they won’t mind.” + Jenny + I did as we were told.
  Arm in arm, we jumped till we got dizzy + couldn’t jump no more. By the time 30STM got to an acoustic version of ‘the Kill’ –I was really hoping they would do it the rocked out way but beggars can’t be choosers-, Jenny + I were sitting on our ponchos, on the ground.
  At 10.45pm, Sherman, Charmaine, Steph, Jenny + I walked out of i-City to the sounds of Jared’s voice singing ‘Closer to the Edge’.
  + that’s how the night ended. Perfect. Who cares if it gave me sore feet + nausea the next day? I had plenty of fun with good company + excellent live music. + to think I scoffed at the idea of going at first. Though, I did have to pay for my ticket.
  Seriously though, I had a good time, + I just might attend the next MTV World Stage Live in Malaysia. Oh please bring Adam Lambert with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment