Friday 19 August 2011

SlutWalk

               Recently, a campaign which termed itself ‘SlutWalk’ caught my eye. The name itself is already quite the attention grabber but more so are the pictures that come along with articles about said event.

               In the papers as well as on the internet, you will find pictures of women scantily clad, holding placards with witty but empowering statements like, quote, ‘I am greater than the contents of my bra’ coined to ‘SlutWalk’.

               I was intrigued the first time I came across an article about the campaign and it turns out that the objective of the walk was to make it clear to the masses that victims of rape and other sexual assaults are not to be blamed. Many who took part in the event were sexually assaulted and unfortunately, blamed for the attacks.

               I instantly found ‘SlutWalk’ to my liking. It takes a lot for someone who has been sexually assaulted to come forth to the authorities; but often, instead of lauding you for your courage to speak up, they immediately term you the real culprit, for dressing too suggestively.

               But how often is it that rape victims were provocatively dressed? In countries like India were sexual assault is rampant but widely ignored, were all these victims dressed as ‘sluts’? Even if one chose to stroll in minimal clothing, should it be taken as an invitation?

               Samantha Wright is the woman to thank for bringing this campaign to life. Originally established after a policeman told a victim she’d deserved having the crime that happened to her due to the way she dressed, Samantha also has her personal reasons behind the walk –her husband was previously a victim of sexual assault himself.

               Although I do not condone ever dressing like a slut when going out, I take my hat off to Samantha’s brainchild, ‘SlutWalk’.

No comments:

Post a Comment