Wednesday 24 August 2011

Unexpected : of Korean music and Japanese cartoons


               You know how wrong they can get, right? First impressions.

               I mean, I’ve always been bad with my judgement, but of course, prejudice will always exist, as long as we’re human. For instance, when you meet someone for the first time, you’re bound to have a first impression of them. They may be spot on, but most of the time for me, they’re way off course.

               Often I’ve written off people who, upon meeting for the first time, come across as annoying. And just as often, they turn out to be my closest friends.

               Well, it appears the same not only applies to people, it applies to my interests.

               A year or two ago, if you were to tell me about a Korean song or talk about an anime, I’d have put on one of those smiles + nodded along to your every word, probably thinking about something else more interesting like, how well the grass was growing in my yard. Yeah, that was me for you a year or so ago –narrow-minded and content with what I know.

               God how things have changed. Currently I’m picking up the Japanese language on my own with dictionary and multi-lingual daddy in tow. And to think that I’d have never picked up his dusty old Japanese dictionary if it weren’t for my two current favourite animes –‘Kaichou wa Maid Sama!’ and ’07-Ghost’.

               Also, you’d be pleased –or unimpressed, depending on whether you are a K-pop fan or not- that I have the song ‘Fiction’ on my mind and ‘Bonamana’ in my phone. Alright, I’m not quite up to date as I’d like to be with the Korean tunes but I’m just getting started. I’m afraid venturing into Korean linguistics will have to wait though –I’m taking French classes at the moment, self-teaching Japanese aside.

               All I’m saying is, one second I’m confident there was nothing these forms of entertainment could offer me; but the next, I’m all over it. Bottom line: never diss it until you’ve tried it. Although, I’ve tried my ear at a little indie and I only go as far as Florence and the Machine –they’re probably not even that indie anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment